my son will never...

A funny (I promise) insight into the world of being a wife, mom and teacher. Every day when I leave my job as a high school teacher, I think of all of the things my own precious son will never do when he is a teenager. I've decided to write it all down, just to make sure...

Thursday, May 18, 2006

When Did I Become a Dork?


I'll answer that question for you. It was September 12, 2005. The very day, coincidentally, that Gus was born. Up until this point, you see, I was pretty damn cool. My teenage students even told me so. But when I got back to work after maternity leave, I was suddenly so NOT cool! Let me tell you how not cool I became.

I am 27. Just the other day, a student asked how old I was. I replied "Forty. Why?" He didn't even blink an eye! Didn't sense the sarcasm! Didn't say "Shut up! There's no way you're 40." Just accepted what I said and moved on. I had to stop him before he spread this ugly rumor. "Twenty-seven" I said. "I'm only 27!" Was it my clothes? My hairstyle? The fact that I carry pictures of my son EVERYWHERE I go? It's the last one. I am a dork because of the bazillion pictures of my kid that I can't wait to show people every day. I always wondered why all moms seemed so dorky. Now I know. It has nothing to do with how old you are. It's all about being a mom. Mom=Dork. Being a dork is the best. I can't wait to be a dork again someday.

My son will never think his Mom is a dork.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT BELIZE YOU STARTED YOUR BLOG!!! I'm so proud of you, PF!! I love it, I love that you are a funny dork!!! I love the pic of Gus-Gus in his hat. Should Luke have a matching one???

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home